This module summarizes the use of ethics in research and the regulations that govern the research process. Various sets of ethical principles that guide healthcare practice are described in detail. The four core ethical principles of beneficence, non-maleficence, autonomy and fidelity are defined in the context of ethical decision making in healthcare. There is focus upon the relationship between the four core values and the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) core dimensions of quality.
The module presents principles that protect the rights of human subjects. Ethical considerations as they relate to clinical research and evidence-based quality improvement initiatives are described. Similarities and differences between research, evidence-based practice, and quality improvement that have implications for human subjects are identified and discussed. Ethical foundations that relate to clinical research are described and examples of ethical controversies as they relate to evidence-based quality improvement initiatives are provided. The module concludes with describing the ethical responsibilities of patients in the process of improving healthcare.
Melnyk, B. M. & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2015). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best practice (3rd ed.). Wolters Kluwer Health. ISBN: 978-1-4511-9094-6 Chapter 22
• The World Medical Association, Inc. (2013). Declaration of Helsinki.
• Department of Health and Human Services | National Institutes of Health. (n.d.). Policy and procedures: The Intramural NIH Human Research Protection Program (HRPP).
• American Nurses Association. (n.d.) ANA Official Position Statements: Ethics and Human Rights.
• University Mission-Based Outcomes – 1, 2, 3, 4
• Program Learning Goals – 1, 2, 6
• Course Learning Objectives – 2, 3, 6, 8
• AACN Essential I: Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
• AACN Essential II: Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
• AACN Baccalaureate Essential III: Scholarship for evidence-based practice
• AACN Essential VII: Clinical Prevention and Population Health
• AACN Essential VIII: Professionalism and Professional Values
• AACN Essential IX: Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
Ethics and Evidence-Based Research
Write a 1250–1500-word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. There should be three main sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least two (2) sources using citations in your essay. Make sure to cite using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page in correct APA do not count towards the minimum word amount. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
Part 1: Describe why ethical safeguards designed for clinical research may not be feasible or appropriate for evidence-based practice or evidence-based practice implementation projects.
Part 2: Review the sectioned headed, Two Ethical Exemplars in Chapter 22 of the textbook (Melnyk and Fineout-Overholt, 2015, pages 518-519). Discuss three main ethical controversies related to implementing Evidence-Based Quality Improvement (EBQI) Initiatives. Describe how these controversies relate to the four core ethical principles.
Part 3: Identify which ethical principles may be in conflict with the concept of “patients having an ethical responsibility in improving healthcare.” Discuss how these conflicts may be resolved.
Length: 1250 – 1500 words
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of one (2) scholarly source and the textbook are required for this assignment.
M7 Assignment UMBO – 1, 2, 3, 4
M7 Assignment PLG – 1, 2, 6
M7 Assignment CLO – 2, 3, 8